Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Divine Bovine
or
Udder Madness


Surreality brightens up my day. Every once in a while, I stumble upon something that makes me blink a few times and wonder if I've triggered another acid flashback. It's nice to question my perceptions. Might be too much for some, but I've come to enjoy it. You only get so many forays into madness before you get too old or two legitimately crazy to enjoy them. Gather ye rosebuds!

Without further ado, I will show you, gentle readers, what I am rambling about: a most demented animation featuring the humble dairy cow as we have never seen her before:







While creating this post, I've just watched the video for the seventh time today, and I'm still in awe of how very like a hallucinogen it is. The cows seem at one moment, familiar, the next, comical, and then suddenly, ominous. They churn and mutate into forms almost unrecognizable as the original with sinister determination. Blink again, and they've returned to normal. It's almost chilling.

If you ask me, someone started eating the mushrooms before they even finished picking. Am I right, kids?

When the long-legged cows come out, I can't help but be reminded of Salvador Dali's elephants:



I would wager Cyriak (the animator) is a much of a fan of Dali as I am.

Go take a look at his website if you have some time to kill. It's high caliber stuff.

I'd love to hire him to do animated wedding invitations. I wonder what that would run . . .

2 comments:

baudot said...

I like that the video constantly surprises. It's a forced perceptual shift every few seconds. "Those vines are going to turn out to be grown from tiny cows. No, wait, they're solidifying into the cows. Right, then!"

Anonymous said...

Wow, some of those cows had two knees on their legs.